Thursday, March 22, 2012

Traditions

Early in the morning.
Early in the morning.
When I'm fast asleep.
When I'm fast asleep.

I'm little. Little enough to be enveloped in my Mom's arms. Cold from just getting out of a bath, but warm and snuggly cuddled up in a towel close to her. She sings to me and I wait to sing my part. The way we sing every night. And will sing for many nights to come.

Fast forward 23 years give or take a few. She's cuddled up in my arms and she doesn't quite know the words yet. But she knows she likes it. She knows to ask for the "bird song".

Tonite is special. I hold her in my arms and when I sing the first line, someone else sings back. She sits there mesmerized watching her Mom and "Mimi" sing the song they've sung so many times before. The song they know by heart. The song that
she'll someday sing to her little girl.











No comments:

Post a Comment