I read this quote and it spoke to my heart. How true it is and how completely it summed up the wonderful weekend we spent with dear friends in Columbus over Memorial Day. We traveled there for one of my college friend, Samara's, gorgeous wedding and stayed with my best friend, Amy.
Saying that I was nervous for this trip would be a great understatement. Lily and I had both been sick all week and Lily has been going through a particularly clingy period. Again, another understatement. Really, she hasn't been willing to go to anyone but our parents without some major adjustment time. My best friend, Amy, had offered to watch Lily for me the night of the wedding, and though I graciously accepted her offer, my nerves were going crazy. It can be a tough transition for Lily to stay with our parents lately, how would she act staying with a friend she hasn't seen for a few months?
Miraculously, the introduction was seamless. It was as if Amy and her 3 year old daughter, Quinn, have been there all along. Immediately, upon stepping into Amy's house, Lily fell in love with Quinny all over again. Everything she did amazed and excited Lily in a way that I've never seen in my little girl. The bond was instant.
Throughout the three days of our stay, Lily went where Quinn went and to my amazement, Lily even lifted her little chubby arms up to Amy completely unprompted wanting "up." No joke... this has never happened before. (And probably poor 8 month pregnant Amy wishes it didn't happen to her ;)). My shy little babe absolutely adored these two "strangers" that she just knew in her heart were our family.
And the best part? Rob and I had a fabulous night out with friends I haven't seen in over five years with no worry. I knew my baby was safe. I knew my baby was content. I knew Amy would love my baby the way I love my baby while I was gone. And she did.
Going home was tough, but so sweet. I know now that to my little girl, these girls that hold my heart will never be strangers... and that is enough.





No comments:
Post a Comment