Saturday, July 16, 2011

What do you sing?

She's just about asleep in the car. I snuggle her close and take her to her room amidst her protests. I sit in the rocking chair and I sing to her. Spice Girls. if you wanna be my lover. Circa maybe 1999 at best. After that? A little Whitney Houston. Some Fiona Apple. A little Ella Fitzgerald to round it out. Mostly college favorites. And I think... Will she remember this? Should I censor myself to Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers? But then I think of being in my own Mom's arms. Granted Cat Stephens was definitely a bit more appropriate. But more than anything, I remember how great it felt no matter what she sang and how Cat Stephens will always be a lullaby in my head. So maybe Spice Girls wasn't my best choice, but I can only hope something way worse will be popular by the time she cares. I can only hope she'll think of Scary Spice and she'll think of her Mom. And that's not all that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment