Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Addy Pie

It's been a bumpy road for Addy Pie and I the last few weeks. No, no... I haven't loved her any less, but let's just say it's a good thing she has that smile of hers. Otherwise, liking her at times could be a little tough.

She's going through one of those phases. Nothing is quite right. She whines and whines and even her cuddles seem a bit grumpy. I live for those little "hi"s and the belly laughs, because the rest is a bit rough.

Even at Gramma and Papa's tonite, she struggled. One minute she was having a ball with her sister and Papa and the next minute she was a tired crumpled mess.

Then, she did something she hasn't done in a long time. She let me hold her. Not hold her to feed her, not hold her upright for security. She just laid back and let me cradle her in my arms, tousle her beautiful blonde curls and she sank into the envelope of my grasp.

We both needed it. We just looked at each other and took a breath. Instead of putting her in the car seat, I carried her home whispering "I love you"s and "my precious girl"s into her ear over and over. I carried her into her room and rocked her gently to sleep. And then I just watched her for a while. Her chubby little fingers holding onto me. Her pudgy pink thighs wrapped around my arms. 

"I love you, precious girl. Goodnight."


No comments:

Post a Comment